How does the program work?
Habitat for Humanity of Horry County works with volunteers in
the community to build houses. Once completed, houses are sold
to qualified buyers at no profit with a 30-year, interest-free
mortgage. We are able to offer this incredible opportunity be
cause of generous support from churches, business, and
individuals in our community.
Since 1991 Habitat for Humanity of Horry County has helped
more than 105 families fulfill their dream of homeownership.
Where are the homes built?
Since we are a county-wide affiliate, we build houses
anywhere land is available in Horry County, South Carolina, in
what is popularly known as The Grand Strand. We have built
homes in Conway, Little River, Loris, Longs, Myrtle Beach, North
Myrtle Beach, Socastee and Surfside.
How do you know if you qualify?
The following questions may help you to understand Habitat
for Humanity's selection more clearly:
- Does your current home have plumbing, electrical, heating,
cooling, or structural problems?
- Do your utility bills and rent take up more than 1/3 of
your monthly income?
- Is there a problem with overcrowding in your current
- Are you living in or sharing someone else's home?
- Are you able to make a payments toward a $2,000 down
payment and still have money for your other financial
- Are you able to make a house payment of about $400 each
month plus utilities and still have money for your other
- Is your income steady and secure enough to obligate
yourself to a thirty year mortgage?
- Are you willing to actively work on improving your
- Are you willing to work on our construction sites building
your home and the homes of others?
- Are you willing to work ten hours each month with Habitat
for Humanity of Horry County?
- Are you willing to commit yourself to active participation
with Habitat for Humanity as long as you live in the home?
- Are you and your family willing to attend monthly
classes and homeowner meetings?
If you answered "yes" to most of these questions and you
believe your credit is at least fair you will likely want to
apply to our homeownership program.
How can I apply?
At the moment, Habitat for Humanity of Horry County is not
accepting new applications for the homeownership program. But do
not let that discourage you! Return often to see updates to this
page for when we will be accepting new applications.
To begin the application process, simply come by the offices
at 165 Co-Op Road to meet with our Family Services staff. After you have
completed a pre-application, our staff and volunteers will
evaluate your standing against the criteria and notify you if
you are eligible to apply.
If you meet the eligibility criteria, you will be invited to
an application meeting. If you do not meet the criteria, you
will be advised of how you can improve your status and reapply
at a later date.
The entire application process may take up to 1 year.